One of the most common questions people ask when purchasing a new printer is which printer has the cheapest ink. This was not the case just a few years ago when the printer device itself was more expensive. Since then the cost of both inkjet and laser printers has dropped considerably.
Among the most unwelcome surprises, users find themselves dealing with is the ongoing cost of printer ink refills. For many of the low-cost models, expenses allocated for ink replacement far exceed the amount paid for the printer, but if you research patiently, you can find some top quality printers where the replacement cartridge is quite cheap and affordable.
In this article, we set out to find which printers have the cheapest ink in 2020 on the market. We have conducted a small research and here are some of the best printers you can consider.
All products here are inkjet printers, if you are looking for a laser printer, you can find it here.
1. Canon PIXMA MX922
The Canon PIXMA MX922 is one of the most popular printers in the market, it comes with many great features and brings wireless capabilities to your home office. This all-in-one printer, of course, can bring office efficiency to all-new levels. The following are some key features of the device ;
Key Features ;
- It has complete connectivity features like Wireless LAN, wireless direct printing, mobile printing and compatible with various print apps like Apple AirPrint, Google Cloud Print and more
- It is an all in one device which means you can easily copy, scan and fax documents
- 35-sheet Duplex Auto Document Feeder
- Auto duplex printing that allows you to print on both sides of the papers
- The reliable print speed at 15 ppm for black and 10 ppm for color
- 3.0-Inch LCD Display allows you to make some corrections on photos before the printing process
- 5-Individual Ink System
- 6m of cord
- Prints on discs
- Top output quality
- The design of the control panel can be confusing for some people.
2. Epson Expression ET-2750 EcoTank
This Epson all-in-one printer comes with supersized ink tanks and it is an ideal choice for productive home printing. It has a compact size and 1.44″ Color Display for quick setup, navigation and customizes settings. You can easily refill this printer because it has a front-facing fill tank. According to Epson, its supersized ink tanks allow you to print up to 6,500 pages of black and 5,200 colors.
Key Features :
- It’s a multifunction printer that allows you to print, copy, scan, and fax directly from the one machine.
- Reload paper less often thanks to its paper tray with a capacity of 100 sheets
- Easy setup and navigation from a 1.44-inch color touchscreen.
- 2 sided printing, enhance your productivity and save paper
- Wireless connectivity, mobile printing support, ethernet
- 10.5 ISO ppm (black) and 5 ISO ppm color
- Individual ink cartridges
- Laser-quality outputs
- High-quality resolution, up to 5760 x 1440 dpi color
- No auto document feeder
- Small paper capacity
3. HP Envy 4520
HP’s Envy 4200 is a multifunction all-in-one printer with complete features that lets you to print photos or any documents from practically anywhere. The apps allow you to print wirelessly from your mobile devices. It has more than 5300 reviews on Amazon and most users are satisfied with its quality :
Key Features ;
- Save more time and paper because it is packed with automatic two-sided printing feature
- Scan resolution is up to 1200 ppi while print speed is up to 9.5 ppm black and 6.8 ppm for printing colored documents.
- 2.2-inch hi-res mono LCD Touchscreen
- Scan and send all your files directly to your email, simple and fast process!
- Wireless printing, wireless direct and combined with mobile printing capability
- Compact size; it has a compact design so it doesn’t require big space on your desk
- Never run out of ink with Instant Ink Ready service
- Automatic duplexer
- Wifi & Wifi Direct
- Small footprint
- High-quality photo printing
- Price of the printer and its ink is affordable
- No fax
- No memory card reader
- No Ethernet port
4. Brother MFC-J480DW
The Brother MFC-J480DW inkjet printer is a good choice for home business or small office and it can produce the best documents and photos especially with its price range. This printer is compatible with various OS including Windows, Mac, and Android for mobile.
- Automatic 2-sided printing and
- Auto document feeder
- Easily navigate through onscreen menus, using 1.8-inch color display
- Print speed is up to 12ppm/10ppm for black and color
- Wireless connectivity
- Bigger paper tray capacity, 100-sheets and single sheet bypass tray that can be used for printing on smaller papers like envelopes and card stock
- Scanning and Copies is faster
- Low cost per page
- High print quality, both for black and color
- Cheaper and has high-capacity ink cartridges.
- Printing color documents, graphics or glossy photos is not so good
- You can’t print or scan in grayscale directly from LCD menu
- The device doesn’t allow you to print documents (text or PDF) from its USB Direct port
- Photo paper handling is limited
- No USB port
5. CANON PIXMA iX6820
If you are looking for a business printer with the cheapest ink price, then you should this PIXMA iX6820 printer. This inkjet printer is an affordable option for those who looking for a micro or home office printer that needs to print on paper media with a size of 13 by 19 inches.
Key Features ;
- High performance because the manufacturer packs it with 5 individual ink-tank system
- Maximum print resolution is up to 9600 x 2400 dpi so you can get a clear and crisp outputs
- Full HD Movie Print software that allows you to transform your favorite HD movie clips into beautiful prints.
- My Image Garden software
- Print any documents, images from web pages faster, 14.5 ipm for black and 10.4 ipm for color.
- Wireless printing, Airprint, Google Cloud and Pixma Printing Solution
- Inexpensive price.
- Support papers up to 13 by 19 inches. Wi-Fi. Ethernet.
- Single paper tray with a 150-sheet capacity.
- You can’t find duplexer inside this machine.
6. HP ENVY 7640
If you are looking for an affordable wireless photo printer with wireless technology then you also need to consider the HP ENVY 7640. You can easily print photos (4×6″ or 5×7″) from your smartphone or tablet without having to switch paper, thanks to its separate photo paper tray. This printer also comes with Printer Remote app that will make it easy for you to manage it directly from your smartphone or tablet
- 2.2 mono touchscreen display will make you easy in navigation and when operating it.
- Reliable printing speed at 9.5 ppm for black and 6.8 ppm for color
- Print high-quality color photos within seconds
- Well-designed with multifunction features (print, copy scan)
- Easy to use and with useful features like 2 USB ports, SD cards slot and combined with twin paper trays.
- You can manage multiple pages with ease with automatic 25-page document feeder & two-sided printing.
- Easy installation from your mobile devices or PCs
- Automatic duplexer
- Wireless connection
- Slow for business use
- Single-sided scanner
7. HP OfficeJet Pro 6968
If you are looking for an affordable multifunction all-in-one inkjet printer with affordable ink cartridge, then the HP Officejet Pro 6968 is one that you can consider. The device offers a lot of good features that can only be found in premium inkjet printers. You can easily copy, scan and print documents wirelessly. Also, it allows you to fax documents and two-sided duplex printing.
Overall, this printer is a great choice for personal use in your home or for use in a small office with fewer graphics printing requirements.
Key Features :
- HP instant ink feature helps in saving up to 50% of the ink
- Print volume up to 200-800 pages
- It has a sleek and compact design that can fit in the smallest of space in your office.
- Print speed: 18 ppm black and 10 ppm color!
- Color touchscreen display: 2.65 inch
- Supports almost all types and sizes of paper.
- Multiple connectivity options
- HP Instant Ink
- High Yield Cartridge (Optional)
- You can’t print from the USB drive
- No scan to email feature
- No NFC
8. Canon MG7720
The MG7720 wireless AIO printer comes with a variety of features that make it ideal for a wide range of printing tasks, from home or small office. If you are looking for a printer for printing high-quality photos or casual documents with complete features including NFC, then this device just might be the one for you. When it comes to printing photos, the MG7720 can print up to 9600 x 2400 dpi, the color output is not only sharp but also high-quality.
Key Features :
- Wireless printing
- CD/DVD printing
- Print or scan any documents or images directly from your phone or tablet.
- 3.5-inch Touchscreen
- Print speed: 15 ppm B/W and 10 ppm color
- All-in-One Printer
- NFC connectivity
- No fax
- The price is somewhat more expensive
That’s our recommendation for the best printer with the cheapest ink on the market, these printers have very good features and reliable for any purpose from personal use or small office. The inks (original or compatible) can also be found easily on Amazon. So are you ready to buy one of these printers ??
“If you feel that OEM cartridge prices are expensive, the alternative is to use NON-OEM cartridge (compatible ink cartridge), these cartridges also can deliver high-quality outputs and at a lower price than OEM products, but please note that only buy from trusted third-party sellers.”
If you are looking for the best printer for home with cheap ink, you can also read it here. You can find a number of the top printer for home and the good thing is, the cost of the replacement ink is also quite affordable.
How Much Will It Cost to Operate My Printer?
You have thought about your printing needs, researched the available printers, purchased a printer at a terrific price and now you have suddenly realized that the retail price is not the only cost associated with your new printer.
You can easily find a variety of printer for less than $100, meanwhile, some printers that come with more attractive features sold for around $200 or even more but it is important to remember that, the purchase price is just the beginning of keeping your printer machine running smoothly, and to be able to work according to your expectations. The biggest costs associated with running your machine are ink cartridges for inkjet, toner cartridges for laser and also the printer paper.
Ink and Toner!
Inkjet printers work by putting liquid ink on the paper and applying pressure to the ink to make it stick to the paper informed words. Simply put, this printer works almost the same as writing with a pen on paper. Ink cartridges contain one or more reservoirs of ink (It all depends on whether you have a black or color cartridge).
On the other hand, Toner is a powder blend of carbon and polymer that is melted by the printer’s fuser and bound to the paper.
If you research printer prices on the market, you can easily conclude that Inkjet printers are the cheapest available to purchase, but in the long run, it can be the most expensive. The upfront savings mask a higher cost on the operating end for both ink and paper which can cost a lot. Printer ink costs usually range between $12 and $60 per cartridge. depending on the brand of the printer, size and can print anywhere from 100 to 500 pages.
You need to be a little careful when buying your printer cartridges. Why ?? I will use HP ink cartridges as an example. The HP #63 prints only 190 pages and sold at a price of around $21.00. Meanwhile, the #63XL cartridge can prints up to 480 pages, and pay attention to the price, only for $40. So for double the price, you get almost 300% more ink.
Another good idea for money-saving is to buy compatible ink cartridges, which are available in online retail stores. They can save you up to 50% or more, depending on the type and brand of printer and it may cut the costs of operating your printer significantly.
Laser toner cartridges vary more widely in price. A small toner cartridge for a personal laser printer (HP Laserjet Pro MFP M102w, M130nw, M130fn, etc) can cost as little as $25 while other laser printers, which are usually used for office and business purposes can have cartridges that cost as much as $300. We can see that the cost of toner may seem high, but the yield is much greater when compared to ink cartridges. A single toner cartridge can be used to print more documents, between 2,500 and 30,000 pages.
Specialty Paper for your Inkjet or Laser Printer
Standards used in printing are the same as other businesses, the better the quality, the more you pay and this also applies for paper as well. If you want to print graphics, with the best quality, sharp text, you will definitely need good quality printer paper, coated specialty paper that can produce the crispest text and the highest-quality images will cost anywhere between 10 cents and $2 per page, yes, the price is a bit more expensive than a standard copy paper. Photo paper is also expensive and as you might already know, the highest quality photographs are usually printed on the best photo paper.
Be careful when buying a new printer. Read “what’s in the box” carefully before buying the printer. Are all accessories such as cables also included in the box?? If everything is included, you don’t need to hesitate to buy the printer, especially if the printer’s price and specifications are in accordance with your budget.